Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Final thoughts of Austria from Rose

My final thoughts about the "Austria Mission Team 2009", from Rose Soto

I want to thank many people:

I thank God that He has given me challenges and opportunities through out my life, and that I was able to hear His call for me to serve Him.
I thank First Baptist Church for having a mission program that allows us to help people around the world. In serving others, we allow spiritual growth within us.
I thank my supporters for helping me to serve for the past three years. I have seen not only seeds planted of God in the minds of refugees, but also the fruit that has come of the seeds.
I thank my husband for allowing me to follow the calling in my heart. He has supported me and taken care of the house and family in my absence.

The life of a refugee is like a plate that has fallen to the ground and broken. The pieces can be put back together but the lines of pain and suffering will stay on that plate forever. Only God alone can help to ease the physical and emotional pain that refugees suffer. Spiritual growth is the only thing that has lessened the pain of my journey through life as a refugee. Each time I serve and let God work through me to help others, He helps to strengthen the cracks still present within me.

The Oasis is a place for refugees to come and gather together. It is a building that must contain a giant magnet. It draws people to come to serve from all around the world. The staff at the Oasis is made up of people that love God and have endless desire to serve Him and spread His Word to everyone that sets foot in the building. The refugees are welcomed into the building with smiles, songs, refreshments, games, clothing items, and Bibles in their own language.

One of my joyful moments at the Oasis was seeing an Oriental friend that comes for Bible study and socializing. Years ago, he didn't want to hear about God. Last year I gave him a cross that he put on his key chain. This year I brought him a bible. He speaks about God constantly, but we agree to disagree on details. He thinks he is not good enough to go to heaven. He thinks he must be perfect to reach heaven, but I think he will be surprised one day!

One of my most painful moments was seeing an 11 year old boy walk through the Oasis door and come straight to me with his head down and not with his usual excited smile. He reached me and looked up and I saw his eye was swollen and bruised. I pointed to his eye and motioned "what happened" with my arms. He made a few punching gestures and I just fell to my knees an kissed his cheek. His mother understood and just touched her heart. Words are not always necessary.

Finally, I thank my team members, including Petra, for sharing two weeks of serving. The joy, pain, laughter, backaches, and good food.

In Christian faith and love,

Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment