Monday, September 21, 2009

Message from Jeni

As the one who did all the writing for the last 2 weeks you would think I would be the last one that would have a hard time expressing myself about my experiences and lessons learned in the last 2 weeks... so much easier said then done :-)

As most of you know I started my journey out on the mission field because when my dad was little he was in an Austrian refugee camp himself and he can recall the American missionaries that would come to visit. Thanks to those missionaries his family was able to make it to America and years later I would be born. So serving God in this way was my way of thanking him for the blessing of what he provided for my dad, but after my first trip to Brazil my view of serving on the mission field changed because I wasn't thanking God as much as he was using me to help reach others and that was an awesome feeling!! It is so indescribable to feel the call to serve and know that God has something planned for me to do...

since my first trip to Brazil I have gone back their twice and one time to the Dominican Republic but each time I always prayed God would call me to the Austria trip, but he didn't. So I waited patiently and when he called me to go this year I "thought" it was my time to serve in the same country that saved my dad and his family. It was finally my time to thank God for what he had done so many years ago, but again I was wrong... instead of me being able to thank God or for me to be able to serve the missionaries God used this time to help me grow...



One day when I was looking in the eyes of one of the boys I saw my dad's face in a picture that I have of him and his family with the boat they traveled on to get to the United States. At that moment I realized what my dad had gone through... this young man had a black eye because of a fight that happened in the camp - and in his sad face I could understand the pain my dad went through and why even now he is hesitant to share stories with us. I grew up being frustrated not knowing much of my dad's history, but after the lessons I learned this week I know now it is probably too painful for him to talk about. Plus he has always stressed to us to appreciate the goodness we have now and don't look back at how we got here. My heart goes out to the kids and I pray that they have the chance to be happy... to be able to smile... to be able to laugh... a time to be a real child that doesn't have to worry where their next meal will come, where will they sleep or will they have clothes to wear. I pray all their fears are lifted up to God and that they can see His light and have hope in the future.

I also wanted to mention that God not only blessed me by giving me a small look into my dad's past, but he also blessed me by letting me work with some amazing people. Actually I would say I met my match in sarcastic people (i.e. David, John and Marie), but beyond our quick wit lies people who are so passionate about the work we do that we don't mind making mistakes (or even a fool of ourselves). It was encouraging (and fun) to serve with three people that understand it is OK to be passionate in serving God.
To the opportunities to learn more about trusting my faith (i.e. Maureen, Dan L, Carol)... the three rocks of the team - that no matter what occurred they never once questioned it was all in God's hands.
Then on to wonderful spirits (i.e. Tom, Dan and Regan, Rose, Petra and Kathy) they showed me that the refugees are more then just people, they are people with histories, people with questions, people who just want to NOT be judged.
Trying to express the relationships that formed and the friendships that developed between the 13 of us is nearly impossible, but looking back now I can see how God had his hands all over us and is smiling down on us now. When I left Austria I truly did not leave completely because my heart will forever be there and I pray that the connections, relationships and friendships made will forever last.

To everyone that has been reading our blog, thank you for your prayers... with you praying for our team, for the Oasis missionaries and their ministries and the refugees, you were instrumental in helping us plant several seeds of hope and in building relationships.

Please continue to pray for (Oasis Missionaries) Carol, Tom and Joanne, David, Dan and Marie, Dan and Regan, Christian and Barbara and all their ministries.
Please also continue to pray for Petra as she continues going to school and she finds her path.
And finally please continue to pray for the refugees and the countries they left.

Thank you and God Bless,
Jeni Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment